Tuesday 8 April 2008

back a-workin!

As of yesterday!

They spent the morning doing their workbooks, I find that if I supervise very closely then they seem to get lots more done, funny that lol. But they worked well in the morning which was nice. the only real bother I am having is with Issy and her reading. Her writing is good and she has neat handwriting for a child her age and can form all her letters well. Her Maths is good too. But it seems no matter how much we try she just isn't 'getting' how to read. I am not overly worried as she has only just turned 5, but Callum seemed to 'get it' a lot quicker than she is doing. I know it's unfair to compare but it is hard not to because if she doesn't crack it it's my fault - I can't go and have a word with the teacher because it's ME - argh!! Talk about self induced pressure.. I know that they all get there in the end but I struggle so much to remain patient with her when she reads a page fairly well yet has forgotten it all 3 minutes later - how teachers of reception age kids manage to do it day after day with 25-30 kids is beyond me - big kudos to them. Anyhow I shall perservere, practise is the name of the game right?

Then in the afternoon we decided to look at Space for the next week or so, inspired by Cal and his telescope. We concentrated on Mercury yesterday and I am trying to find a recording of the Planets suite online for them to listen to as well as we do each planet - multi disciplinary ahah!!

Alex and Sam are trying to join in as best they can, Alex likes Planets he says. Sam is good, still refusing to take more than one independant step. Rich says it's because he's been worn for so long he has no reason to learn - the others learned more quickly because they wanted to escape from the buggy lol - Chops has no incentive! Maybe there is something in that. .. If the weather holds then we *might* venture to the park, and I will take him in the buggy for a change, see if the theory holds.

Right no rest for the wicked. I have to go help Cal with some measuring for his Maths work. I just wish I didn't have another flipping migraine. ARGH!!

Rahs xxx

2 comments:

Louise said...

Rach Hun, E's godmother is a teacher and if Issy continues to have issues with reading would you like me to get her to give you some tips? She's probably got a little trick up her sleeve.

abbie said...

Rach, some children pick up reading really early, but its very very common for them to not get it at all until nearer 7. I know this cos Lenny just wasnt getting it at all and I worried he might be dyslexic, but the teacher said you really cant tell until past that age and quite often, something will just click at around that age. In a lot of countries they dont even start with reading and writing until gone that age, so youve got quite a while before you need to worry, but tbh, if shes good with writing already, i dont even think it will be that long